Monday-Friday 10:00am-5:00pm (ACST - +9:30 GMT) and (ADST - +10:30 GMT)
+61 429 823 417

Assistance – Alcohol & Drug Addiction

Assistance - Alcohol & Drug Addiction, FADVANAssistance – Alcohol & Drug Addiction

If you or someone you know has a problem with drugs or alcohol, or both, then drug and alcohol rehabilitation services can help. They offer a range of treatments, including counselling, which means you don’t have to do it alone.



What is drug and alcohol rehabilitation?

Drug and alcohol rehabilitation helps people improve the way they live their lives by helping them get off or reduce their use of drugs and alcohol.
Drug and alcohol rehabilitation services provide treatment and support. These services are sometimes called ‘rehab’ services.
State and territory governments fund most of these services. The Australian Government funds some too. Many are run by non-government organisations and charities.
There are also private drug and alcohol treatment options.

Types of rehabilitation programs

Rehabilitation programs usually take place in community-based treatment centres or residential rehabilitation services.
Residential rehabilitation services allow you to stay in a special clinic for a number of days or weeks.

Treatment approaches for drug and alcohol addiction

If you have a severe problem with drugs or alcohol, you might need hospital treatment. You might also need to do a detoxification program to get rid of drugs and alcohol in your body.
Rehabilitation can involve counselling to help you change your behavior. You might also be prescribed medicine.
If you have a drug or alcohol problem and a mental illness, you will need help with both at the same time.
Rehabilitation might not be successful the first time. Many people need to go through the process more than once. But if it doesn’t work first time, you will have learnt something, and it will make it easier next time.

Where to go for help

Counselling Online offers 24-hour free drug and alcohol counselling. Family Drug Support Australia offers 24-hour support to families and friends of drug and alcohol users. Call 1300 368 186.
Search for a drug and alcohol service through services directory, or the Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) website.
If you need help with alcohol addiction, call Alcoholics Anonymous on 1300 222 222

Alcohol Drug Information Service

(ADIS) The Alcohol and Drug Information Centres are state and territory-based services that offer information, advice, referral, intake, assessment and support 24 hours a day. ADIS offers services for individuals, their family and friends, general practitioners, other health professionals and business and community groups.
ADIS counsellors understand the difficulties of finding appropriate drug and alcohol treatment and use their knowledge and experience to assist callers.
Australian Capital Territory – (02) 6207 9977
New South Wales – 1800 422 599 (Regional and rural NSW Freecall), (02) 9361 8000 (Metropolitan)
Northern Territory – 1800 131 350
Queensland – 1800 177 833 (Freecall)
South Australia – 1300 13 1340
Tasmania – 1800 250 015 (Freecall)
Victoria 1800 888 236 – (DirectLine)
Western Australia – 1800 198 024 (Regional), (08) 9442 5000 (Metropolitan)

Drug and alcohol rehabilitation costs

Costs vary. Some treatments are free. Some government-funded community-based and residential rehabilitation centres ask for a co-payment.
Talk to your doctor about Medicare rebates.
Depending on your cover, some private health insurance companies offer rebates.

More information

Lifeline and DrugInfo have information on drugs and alcohol. ReachOut and headspace have information on drugs and alcohol for young people.


Drinks Calculator
Binge Drinking
Effects of Alcohol on Pregnancy
Drink Driving
Managing Teen Drinking


DrugInfo :
1300 858 584
Family Drug Helpline :
1300 368 186
Youth Substance Abuse Service :
1800 014 446
Lifeline :
Kids Helpline :
1800 551 800
Parentline :
1300 301 300
Counselling Online :
1800 888 236
Drug Arm:
1800 022 222


Family Drug Support
1300 368 186